Sunday 24 June 2012

Raw cacao, fruit & nut treat balls

These Raw Cacao bean & goji berry treat balls are the first recipe that I ever developed in my Thermomix and posted to the Thermomix Australia Recipe Community. Since then, I have had some lovely positive feedback on the forum. Being as life is a little busy at the moment and is unfortunately holding me back from 'playing' with my Thermomix (other than making my regular recipes of course)  . . .  I thought I'd post this recipe as a quick and easy one this week.




Since making these tasty and nutritious raw 'superfood' cacao morsels, I have tried a number of variations . . I now find myself adding fresh coconut and dates which I always have in my fridge to make my CADA+Pear breakfast. These ingredients really help to make the balls moist and fudgy without needing to add honey to help the ingredients glue. 


Not only is this the healthiest way to get your chocolate fix, it is also the healthiest way to eat nuts and seeds, especially if you are able to source certified organic. For even more nutrition, use activated nuts or soak and dry your own at the lowest temp in your oven or in a dehydrator. 


There a three basic recipes below with variation ideas summed up at the bottom. I have to tell you that they are child-friendly too, my girls love these as an after school snack . . . I love them as a healthy pick-me-up anytime of day :)


Raw Cacao bean & goji berry treat balls 
These balls are a healthy way to satisfy a chocolate craving with considerably less guilt! They are packed full of antioxidants, dietary fibre, healthy fats, vitamins and minerals. Enjoy!

Original recipe - still a favourite!
ingredients
70 g raw almonds (or cashews, walnuts, hazelnuts etc. OR 50g nuts + 20g chia / flaxseeds)
70 g raw cacao beans or nibs
45 g organic goji berries (Chinese wolfberry)
45 g dates (or use half dates & half dried apricots)
2 tsp extra virgin coconut oil
1 tbsp raw honey or your choice of syrup
1 tsp vanilla bean paste 



method
  1. Add raw cacao beans and raw almonds (+ seeds) to the TM bowl and grind into a fine powder on speed 9 for about 10 seconds.
  2. Add all remaining ingredients and mix on speed 8 for about 30 seconds until the mixture is finely ground, comes together well and is able to be shaped into balls.
  3. Shape into approximately 15 balls. Store in the refrigerator.

Fudgy version (using fresh coconut & medjool dates)

'fudgy' treat balls with fresh coconut & fresh date 




ingredients
40g raw almonds
30g raw cashews
80 g raw cacao beans or nibs
50g fresh coconut
75g (or 7) fresh medjool dates
40g goji berries
10-20g raw cacao powder (optional) - for a richer chocolate flavour
1 tsp vanilla bean paste 

method
  1. Add raw almonds, cashews and cacao beans to the TM bowl and grind into a fine powder on speed 9 for 10-20 seconds. Decant.
  2. Add fresh coconut to the TM bowl and grind on speed 9 for 20 seconds. 
  3. Add all remaining ingredients to the bowl with the ground nuts and cacao beans and mix on speed 8 for about 30 seconds or until the mixture is finely chopped and comes together well. Roll into small bowls. Makes about 16. Keep in the refrigerator.
For a richer, darker, chocolate flavour, add the 10-20g raw cacao powder which has a more concentrated chocolate flavour than the whole cacao beans. 


Quick choc-mint fix treat balls 
August 2012 - My girls requested these non-stop over the July school holidays on our recent trip home to Australia. Great if you don't have raw cacao beans or nibs on hand. Stick to the basic recipe or mix up to your preference. If you don't have the seeds add more nuts. 

ingredients
20g flaxseeds (linseeds) or chia
80g raw walnuts (or a mix of your fave nuts)
100g fresh dates, pitted
100g mixed dried fruit (e.g. blueberries, sultanas, cherry, goji or more dates)
4 tbsp raw cacao
5 drops peppermint oil
1 tsp vanilla paste (optional)

method
  1. Add seeds and nuts to the TM bowl and grind into a fine powder on speed 9 for about 30 seconds.
  2. Add all remaining ingredients and mix on speed 8 for about 30 seconds until the mixture comes together well and is able to be shaped into balls.
  3. Shape into approximately 15 balls. Store in the refrigerator.

variations ideas for all treat balls
  • You can use any mix of raw nuts and seeds. Try all seeds for nut-free treat balls.
  • I am a big fan of dates and goji berries, but you can use any mix of dried fruit, e.g. apricots, sultanas, raisins, blueberries, cranberries . . . . sometimes I just use fresh dates.
  • Add peppermint oil or fresh orange zest for a little more interest. 
  • Make them into raw energy bars!
  • Roll in coconut . . . .!


no thermomix?
Try using your food processor! 


 Find me on Facebook at Mixing it up in HK

6 comments:

  1. I LOVE power snacks like these! I've only just discovered your blog and all your recipes are incredible. I'm going to be a follower from now on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Paula, is the goji beries refers to those dry one at the Chinese herb shop..if yes..do I need to soak it with water to make it soft?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes goji berries are also called wolf berries. You certainly could soak them in a little water for a fudgier ball but you don't need to if you are using a thermomix.

      Delete
  3. Hi Paula. .can I use olive oil instead of coconut oil and cocoa powder instead of cocoa bean?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, I would suggest that you use a milder tasting oil, but it may not be needed. You can be the judge of that when you make the balls. if you don't have cacao beans, I suggest that you follow the basic 'Quick' recipe at the bottom of this post. The addition of peppermint oil is of course optional :)

      Delete