Sunday 30 September 2012

Best ever chocolate brownies

I just love a good brownie. I'm a self-confessed chocoholic (like so many out there)! My theory is, that if I'm going down the road of a fat and sugar blowout, it has to be well worth it . . . so it has to be a GOOD brownie or there's just no point putting it past my lips! 

My ideal chocolate brownie is rich and dark with has a crisp, meringue-like exterior, a slight chewiness and a moist, fudgy centre. This is the 'Best ever brownie' . . . my personal opinion of course :)

I have made several variations on this recipe over the years . . . my favourites are triple chocolate chip and orange & pistachio . . . I will get around to adding these in case you are already drooling in anticipation?!

I have to tell you that this is not my usual style of recipe, particularly for this blog . . . the chocolate part is of course right on track . . . but the fat and sugar content!  But hey, what is life without the occasional indulgence! Go on treat yourself . . . . you won't regret it I promise!



ingredients
250g butter, cut into chunks
275g good quality dark chocolate (or use half 70% + half milk chocolate)
400g raw caster sugar or sucanat . . . I know, I know
4 large eggs
180g plain flour (white spelt preferably)
50g raw cacao powder

method
  1. Preheat fan forced oven to 175°C. Line base and two sides of a large rectangular pan (20 x 30cm) with a sheet of baking paper. For best results use a light coloured pan or glass dish. 
  2. Break the chocolate up into pieces and add to the TM bowl. Grate for 5 seconds on speed 8.
  3. Add butter and melt with the chocolate for about 1-2 minutes at 60°C on speed 3 until the chocolate has melted and the mixture is smooth and velvety. 
  4. Add eggs and mix to combine on speed 3 for 5 seconds
  5. Add sugar and mix on speed 5 for 20 seconds, or until well combined. 
  6. Add flour and raw cacao and mix on speed 5-6 for 10 seconds until just combined. Do not over-mix. 
  7. Pour the gloriously gooey mix into the prepared pan and bake for 35-40 minutes until the surface is shiny and cracked and the mixture no longer wobbles when shaken. It may be slightly sticky when tested with a skewer. 
  8. Place the pan onto a wire rack and allow to completely cool before cutting into squares to serve. If you can't wait that long, there's certainly nothing wrong with digging into a warm, gooey brownie :) Enjoy as is, or served with a dusting of icing sugar and/or a dollop of cream or scoop of good quality vanilla ice-cream to cut the richness. Best eaten fresh :)
no thermomix?
  • melt the butter & chocolate in the microwave
  • beat the eggs and sugar in a separate bowl using an electric mixer until light and creamy
  • fold the chocolate mixture into the egg mixture
  • sift the flour and cocoa over the liquid and mix until just combined

For the health nuts . . . I promise that some healthier variations will follow shortly! LOL

Find me on Facebook at Mixing it up in HK

No comments:

Post a Comment